The Executive Committee meeting was held at Alabama Department of Archives and History (ADAH) on Friday, December 12, 1998, at 12:00 PM.
I. Attendees included:
Marty Olliff President
Linda Overman Vice President
Victor Neilsen Treasurer
Brenda Pietrowski Secretary
Ken Tilley Archivist
Jim Baggett Past President
Shannon White Executive Committee Appointed Director
Tim Pennycuff Executive Committee Appointed Director
Mike Breedlove Executive Committee Appointed Director
NOTE: Jim Baggett and Ken Tilley are also on the Membership Committee.
II. Marty Olliff called the meeting to order at 1215 p.m. and thanked the attendees for coming and ADAH for hosting.
III. There was discussion on the constitution and legality of members of the Executive Committee. Conclusion: Ken Tilley will check the archives for the latest constitution. If there is no mention of the three appointed members of the Executive Committee, we will revise the constitution at the Spring meeting. There is a version of our constitution on the Web; Ken Tilley will check the date and contents of that version to make sure it is the latest version.
IV. Marty Olliff charged the Membership Committee to begin work on getting the SALA name out to the public. Points discussed were:
B. We need to focus on what is going on in Alabama.
C. We need to establish regions.
D. Mike Breedlove will "touch base" with the new president of the Alabama Historical Association.
E. The Membership Committee will publicize SALA and try to secure new members.
F. A list of potential members and institutions will be developed.
G. We need a to re-write our membership application,
how we receive them into SALA, and how to ensure they retain their membership.
5. Marty Olliff will create a letter for new members welcoming them to SALA.
6. We can use our Archives and Manuscripts in Alabama: A Repository Guide to begin the initial survey.
7. We need to organize our programs to reflect our members' needs. We need to appeal to the majority.
8. Jim Baggett suggested pulling together a membership packet consisting of a membership survey, application letter, and membership brochure.
9. Mike Breedlove offered the thought that as members of SALA, we are the artisans of the field in the state and membership in our organization offers the opportunity to share common concerns and information.
10. Jim Baggett suggested we open our list serve to smaller organizations (we will retain a hard copy of all information and the different incarnations).
11. A suggestion of an appropriate way to proceed would be through short press releases.
12. Jim Baggett will draft his efforts in Birmingham for the newsletter and possible other publications.
13. We need to create a public receiver of organizations who could benefit from our experience and membership.
14. We need to expand our newsletter list and keep up with receivers.
15. Marty Olliff can be contact person to start building the lists.
16 We need to develop outreach projects that could benefit prospective members.
17. We need to liaison with other organizations.
V. The question of do we need two meetings a year was presented
to the Committee, At the present time, we traditionally have a Spring
meeting and a Fall Business meeting and Luncheon. No Spring meeting
was set. One
possibility was to piggyback with ADAH open house for legislatures around April 22, 1999. Auburn University at Montgomery will be approached about hosting this event.
VI. Archives Week - We need to set our goals and put some thought into this project. Once again, this is another project that we need to reach out and involve groups. We may try the fact sheet approach emphasizing this is a SALA not an ADAH project.
VII. Student Dues - At the present time, dues for student membership is $2.50. A motion was made to present an increase in student dues to $5 at the Spring meeting. Motion was seconded and carried.
VIII. Digital committee should focus on archives and look at access
cooperation. A suggestion was made that at the next meeting, we share
our finding aids (including those on the Web).
Brenda K. Pietrowski
BRENDA K. PIETROWSKI
Return to Meeting Minutes